TLDR
- Iran launched a maritime insurance platform called “Hormuz Safe” on May 16, 2026, reported by state media outlet Fars News Agency.
- The platform would allow cargo ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz with insurance policies paid in Bitcoin.
- Iran projects the platform could generate over $10 billion in annual revenue.
- Payments to Iranian-linked platforms may violate U.S. sanctions under OFAC rules, legal experts warn.
- The platform’s website currently shows a “Coming Soon” page, and full technical details have not been released.
Iran has proposed a Bitcoin-based maritime insurance platform called “Hormuz Safe” to manage cargo transit through the Strait of Hormuz, according to a report from Iranian state media outlet Fars News Agency published on May 16, 2026.
Iran Launches Bitcoin-Settled Maritime Insurance Platform Hormuz Safe
Iran has launched Hormuz Safe, a state-backed digital maritime insurance platform for vessels transiting the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, supporting settlement in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.… pic.twitter.com/14UJv7yYua
— Wu Blockchain (@WuBlockchain) May 18, 2026
The report cited a document obtained from Iran’s Ministry of Economy. It says the ministry had been working on the plan since late April 2026.
The Strait of Hormuz handles roughly 20% of the world’s oil trade. It has been at the center of a geopolitical crisis after U.S. and Israeli strikes killed Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in late February. Iran then imposed a blockade, allowing some commercial traffic while excluding ships linked to its “enemies.”
How the Platform Would Work
Under the proposed model, ships carrying cargo through the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz would purchase digital insurance policies through the Hormuz Safe platform. These policies would cover risks like inspection, detention, and confiscation of cargo.
Payments would be settled in Bitcoin. According to the platform’s website, insurance coverage would take effect from the moment a blockchain transaction is confirmed, with a digital receipt issued to the cargo owner.
The platform uses cryptographic verification to confirm coverage. Fars News described it as a tool for Iran to assert financial control over one of the world’s most important shipping lanes.
Iran’s government projects the platform could bring in more than $10 billion in revenue. No breakdown of how that figure was calculated was included in the original report.
Sanctions Concerns and Skepticism
Legal and compliance experts have long warned that payments to Iranian state-linked entities could trigger violations under the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control, known as OFAC. Any operator considering using the platform would need to consult legal counsel first.
Cybersecurity professionals have also flagged that crypto scams impersonating Iranian authorities have been active since the conflict began in February. Hormuz Safe appears to be state-sanctioned, but the distinction may not be clear to all users.
Some reader comments on the Fars News article expressed doubt over whether revenue from the platform would benefit ordinary Iranians or remain under government control.
The platform’s website showed a “Coming Soon” landing page as of the time of this report. Full technical and legal documentation has not been publicly released.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has said China could play a role in reopening the Strait. China is the world’s largest oil importer and a major buyer of Iranian crude. Prediction market Polymarket showed traders expect traffic through the Strait to remain disrupted in the short term, with a possible resolution by year-end.
Iran has increasingly used cryptocurrency in recent years as a way to conduct cross-border commerce outside the dollar-based financial system. Reports of Bitcoin, stablecoins, and China’s yuan being used for Hormuz passage began circulating in early April 2026.
Whether Hormuz Safe becomes a functioning insurance market or remains a government announcement is not yet clear.






Be the first to comment